Good morning in Nigeria. Welcome Naija News Top newspaper headlines in Nigeria on Friday, April 4, 2025
Vice President Kashim Shettima left Abuja on Thursday for the 65th anniversary of Senegal in Dakar.
Naija News reported that the vice president will represent President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on his anniversary.
Senegal celebrates its Independence Day every April 4, commemorating the freedom of colonial rule from France in 1960. This day was marked by national pride, and ceremonies, parades and cultural activities were held.
Following a strong interrelationship between Nigeria and Senegal, the Vice President participated in the annual event to commemorate the invitation from Senegal President Faye Diomaye to President Tinubu.
The Independence Day celebration will be held at De la Nation in Dakar, where President Faye presided over Vice President Shettima and other outstanding guests from Africa and beyond.
The independent National Election Commission (INEC) has for the second time rejected the suspension of Senator Natasha Akpoti Uduaghan representing Kogi Central Senate District.
Naija News reported that Sam Olumekun, the national commissioner of the election referee and chairman of the Board of Information and Voters Education, revealed this at the end of the committee’s regular weekly meeting.
Olumekun said that INEC’s decision followed a signature/thumbprint forwarded with the petition, which was 43.86%, rather than more than 50% required by Article 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (Amendment).
According to him, petitions to recall senators must comply with Article 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, which requires the signature of more than half of registered voters in the constituency.
The State Commissioner further stated that INEC assured Nigerians that it would handle incidents about the parties involved in fairness, adding that this would comply with the provisions of the law as well as our regulations and guidelines.
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu calls on the inconvenience that Lagos have experienced due to the closed independent bridge.
Naija News reported that Governor Sanwo-Olu said the closure of the bridge was regrettable but necessary to save the lives of its users.
During a visit with journalists on Thursday morning, the governor urged Lagosians to support the government’s efforts to provide safety to road users.
He said that if the ongoing works on the stand-alone bridge were not started, road users could risk sinking in the water because they were already old.
Federal Capital Territory Minister NYESOM WIKE has fiercely dismissed his cycle of collapse last week, marking the claim as the work of an individual seeking to gain cheap political views.
Naija News reported that Wike issued a statement after inspecting four ongoing projects, including the International Convention Center (ICC).
The minister’s clarification was in response to social media posts, especially on 𝕏 (formerly Twitter), where the post claimed he had collapsed at an event in Abuja on Friday. The posts further claimed that Vick was taken to an undisclosed hospital for treatment.
Earlier, Lere Olayinka, a senior special assistant to public communications and social media at Wike, had debunked false reports, calling them fake.
Bayo Onanuga, President Bola Tinubu’s special adviser on information and strategy, also refuted the rumor.
The Ministry of Defense Headquarters (DHQ) has made new assurances to infamous robber leader Bello Turji.
General Markus Kangye, director of Defense Media Operations, assured this at a press conference in the Nigerian Army event on Thursday.
He said the military eliminated many high-profile terrorists, and it was only a matter of time before Bello Turji’s case was.
Kanye said in refuting suggestions on the military’s struggle with insurgents, terrorists and other criminals.
Naija News reported that Kangye also dismissed the report that the welfare of the troops was suffering and the wounded soldiers were ignored by the armed forces.
He said the injured are receiving the highest medical care and the service chief is always in touch with the troops.
Senate President Godswill Akpabio responded strongly to former Senator Elisha Abbo’s recent criticism of his leadership, calling the claims “unfounded” and driven by “media drama.”
Naija News reported that Abbo claimed in an interview with Arise News program on Wednesday evening, April 2, 2025 that Akpabio operates the Nigerian Senate like a personal empire and targets senators who oppose his views.
In a statement issued by Akpabio Media Special Adviser RT. Senate President Hon Eseme Eyiboh refuted Abu’s allegations, stressing that the charges are a continuation of “false and malicious” remarks after the former senator expelled from the Senate.
Akpabio further dismissed Abbo’s claims of Senate intervention and asserted that the legal process that led to his removal was conducted under the law and was not influenced by any politician.
The statement clarified that Abbo had filed similar charges in 2023, but later withdrew them, acknowledging that his allegations were “too premature and based on available information.”
Akpabio stressed that Abbo admitted in previous conversations that his failure to participate in the judicial process led to his removal from the Senate, which made his current remarks even more confusing.
Rivers State’s only executive, Deputy Ibockett Ibockett Ibas (Retd), announced that his administration is preparing a new national budget after a recent Supreme Court ruling invalidated the state’s 2025 budget.
Naija News gathered that IBAS made this revelation at a meeting of the National Assembly River Caucus at the Government Building in Port Harcourt on Thursday.
The new budget will focus on key sectors such as education, health care, social services and infrastructure development, as well as highlighted in the invalid 2025 budget, IBAS explained.
Speaking about the priorities of the budget, Ibas stressed the government’s commitment to improving the lives of residents of River State through targeted investments.
The IBA further assured that the process of drafting the budget is transparent and inclusive, with the focus on accelerating its implementation.
Controversial Nigerian singer Habeeb Okikiola (renamed Portable) revealed that he had been interested in the popular Crossdresser, Idris Okunneye (also known as Bobrisky).
Portable revealed that he entered Bobrisky’s DM on social media with the intention of asking him to go out and eventually sleep with him.
However, the singer, who disclosed in a recent interview with Echo Room, added that he had no idea that Bobrisky was a man when he was planning to sleep with him.
Portable added that he quit the plan after discovering that Bobrisky was a man rather than a woman.
Naija News reported that the singer further revealed that he was Bobrisky’s friend and suggested that the cross-dresser stop portraying himself as a woman.
Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhães will miss the remainder of the season after the club confirms he needs surgery on his hamstring.
Gabriel Magalhães, 27, was replaced in Arsenal’s 2-1 victory over Fulham at the Amirates Stadium, raising concerns about his health.
Gabriel has become a key figure in Arsenal’s defender since joining the club since Lille, with 28 out of 30 Premier League games this season. His outstanding performance has contributed greatly to the team’s best defensive record so far, with only 25 goals so far.
The news is a setback for the Gunners, currently ranked second in the Premier League rankings, with Liverpool’s leader 12 points behind with just eight games left this season.
In addition to the club’s challenges, Arsenal will face defending Champions League holder Real Madrid in the quarterfinals of the match. The first round will be held at 20:00 BST in the UAE on April 8 and then at 20:00 BST on 16 April 16 at Bernabeu’s return leg.
Real Madrid is working on potentially significant sanctions from the European Union (UEFA) as they await critical judgments on the behavior of several major players: Kylian Mbappe, Vinicius Junior High School, Antonio Rudiger and Dani Ceballos.
The ongoing investigation of the mentioned Real Madrid players is that they were marked not only by athleticism but also by the controversial behaviors that the players showed after their strong penalty shootout victory against Madrid on March 12.
UEFA has conducted a thorough investigation into the actions taken during and immediately after the penalty shootout. At the heart of this inquiry is some gestures made by the player, especially those of Rudiger and Mbappe, which have attracted great attention and criticism.
Among the charges, Antonio Rudiger is reportedly facing the worst charges. The German defender allegedly made a tilt gesture, which was believed to be targeting Atletico Madrid supporters.
Given the context of fierce competition between the two clubs, this action could be interpreted as a threatening gesture, and the punishment for Rudiger could be more stringent than his teammates.
Kylian Mbappe also found himself under censorship as social media spread video footage, allegedly capturing him making a gripping gesture during the celebration. This behavior raises further questions about sportsmanship and professionalism, thus adding fuel to the ongoing investigation.
That was the top newspaper headline in Nigeria today. Read more Nigeria news Naija News. See you tomorrow.