Engineering Minister Dave Umahi reopened the Independence Bridge on Victoria Island in Lagos.
The minister had earlier directed the immediate reopening of the bridge after a massive traffic stalemate that shocked Lagos’ Ikoi region. In the video seen online, the minister first drove on the bridge and then officially reopened to the Lagosians.
On Friday, April 4, Umahi made a speech by a reporter in Lagos confirmed that construction work on the bridge will officially begin within three weeks.
The engineering minister said the reporter was talked to after the bridge reopened.
“We have to be very, very, very grateful and thankful for the message of the Almighty God. We worked hard all night and if you ask me how it happened. I would say it is God’s wisdom and grace.
Then, he said, a more permanent structure will be established in three weeks.
“You know, in three weeks we’re going to do a more permanent job because we don’t know the integrity of the pipes that carry the apartment. So we’ve completely reduced the apartments for any load. But it’s both the pin load we’re going to introduce so that it will continue to press down on it.
Therefore, we will always thank God. We thank Mr. President, who is very, very sensitive to the plight of the people. You know, whenever Nigerians are in pain, the president relieves that pain.
The President saw the reasons for this independent bridge for emergency recovery and therefore saw the difficulties of Nigerians. ”
Lagos residents will be stranded for hours Wednesday to Thursday, April 3 after the Independence Bridge suddenly closed for maintenance and rehabilitation work on Wednesday.
Watch the video, showing the moment he reopened the bridge below…